Our dear friend Fall has arrived and with it, chillier daytime breezes, colder nights, and sometimes the need for our umbrellas. As the weather cools down, most of us find ourselves turning to the solace of richer and warmer foods. Nothing warms the home and the heart like an oven roasting deliciousness. The smell that wafts through the house prepares the taste buds and then the tummy.
Potato salad may be an old time summer American favorite, but that’s precisely why my curiosity was peaked and I wanted to take it and do it with a twist. With one small bag of red potatoes, a medium-sized pepper and lots of spices, I was able to make the most dreamy and colorful side dish you could ask for to accompany just about anything.
This mayonnaise-free salad should be served at room temperature. The strong oregano flavors and roasted vegetables gives off a strong Mediterranean flare that can easily accompany a protein and nothing more.
You will need:
- 1 24 oz bag of baby red potatoes
- 1 medium-sized red bell pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sea Salt (coarse)
- Black Pepper
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- Dijon Mustard
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wash potatoes, being careful to cut off spuds and throw away any potatoes that have been too badly bruised or rotten. Cut the potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Toss potatoes in a mixing bowl and coat with about 1 tbsp of EVOO.
3. On a large cookie sheet, spread out potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat on the top rack of the oven for about 15 minutes, depending on the oven. While the potatoes are cooking, julienne the red bell pepper and mince the garlic. Set aside.
4. When it is time to take out the potatoes,the white flesh should become golden brow. Flip the pieces of potato over so that the may cook on the other side. Add the bell peppers and minced garlic to the cookie sheet and place back in the oven.
5. The vegetables should cook fairly fast from this point, so for the next 5 to 10 minutes, keep a close eye. Cooking too long will result in burning the garlic.
6. Remove from oven, and potatoes should be golden brown with a darker crispness at the edges. In your mixing bowl, and 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp of dry oregano, and 2 tsp of EVOO.
7. Serve at room temperature alongside your meal.
*For slightly lower calorie count, do not add additional EVOO to the dish. You may also accent the flavoring by drizzling the dish with lemon juice.