If you are looking to eat foods with less cholesterol, or have an allergy to eggs, this is for you! I also love this alternative for when I am baking and do not have enough eggs for the recipe. Enjoy!
You will need:
Quick cooking grits
Extra virgin olive oil
8 to 10 ounces of firm tofu
21 seasoning (salt free blend of seasoning)
1. Cook grits according to directions. I only add a tiny dash of salt to cut the blandness.
2. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium high heat.
3. With a fork or your hands, break tofu into crumbles and add to heated oil. Drizzle 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar over tofu as it cooks.
4. Thinly slice 1/4 cup of onion and add to skillet.
5. Next add 1 tsp each of paprika, garlic power, and 21 seasoning.
6. Last, add spinach and cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until spinach wilts.
Egg lovers, this goes out to you….
Asparagus Milanese is essentially asparagus with a fried egg. It does not sound like much, but I have had it in restaurants and seen it in cook books and it is delicious! It’s a light meal, especially for those eating dinner a little later in the evening. I love Italian food so much, and this happens to be one of the faster to prepare meals. It was my main dish, but this should not deter you from serving it as a side dish alongside another protein. Personally, I do not like sunny-side up eggs. I prepared the egg sunny side up and then went a step further and prepared mine over easy. Since this is not really a recipe I can take credit for, I decided to bear all and show the imperfections of cooking. Some of the photos are a little rough, but in the end, the dish tasted great!
- Coarse sea salt
- Ground Pepper
- 21 seasoning
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 small bag of frozen asparagus spears (I used grilled ones from Trader Joe’s)
- Grated Parmesan cheese-I prefer a good aged cheese (at least 18 months) such as Grana Padano
- 1 lemon wedge
1. In a large skillet, add 1 tbsp of olive oil on medium high heat. Spread asparagus spears into pan and sprinkle them with 21 seasoning and a pinch of sea salt. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until heated well-through and no longer frozen.
2. Place onto plate and prepare to cook your egg. Practices may vary, but I use 1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil on medium heat, and crack the egg into the skillet. For sunny side up, the yolk will remain fluid. in order to cook the egg white, allow to slow cook but occasionally angle the skillet. For over easy, I flipped the egg over once the egg whites were nearly done cooking. The yolk inside will be just a little soft and richer in flavor.
3. Place the now cooked egg on top of your asparagus. Add 2 tbsp of finely grated cheese, ground pepper, and a drizzle of lemon juice.