If you follow my facebook fan page, you know I drink a lot of GTLs (green tea lemonades) from Starbucks in the warmer weather. Sometimes it’s tempting to also grab a yummy pastry– but they are so high in calories and refined sugar! It would likely be momentary satisfaction and lasting regret. When I do eat a pastry, it is usually the Michigan Cherry Oat Bar. It just seems like the healthier option, though I have not really researched this. What I do know, is that most of the most tasty desserts have refined sugar, wheat and butter. I wanted to come up with something made of more natural and less processed ingredients, but still very delicious.
- Grind 1 cup of gluten free oats in a food processor until it becomes a fine flour.
- Mix 1 cup oats with 1 cup of oat flour.
- Add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda, and combine all dry ingredients well.
- Add 1 tablespoon of agave nectar.
- Melt 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil. Add about 1/3 or more if needed till mixture is wet, and stick enough to clump together.
- Mash mixture into the bottom of a baking pan until nice and flat. I used a 9×9 pan.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- In a food processor or blender take 3 cups of frozen berries, 1 tablespoon agave nectar, and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice until smooth.
- Add chia seeds to mixture and let sit for 30-60 minutes.
- Spread berry mixture over oats in pan.
- For the topping, repeat steps 1-5, but add about 2 tablespoons of crushed walnuts.
- Carefully spread mixture over berry center. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes.
I decided to team up with my youtube besties, Lainey of SimplyBakings and Jac of The Vegetarian Baker. They’ve come up with yummy pastries as well! Check out our videos below: