Jordan is one of my instagram pals that never ceases to amaze me with her beautiful and healthy food photos. I asked her to share this recipe because it is perfect for Fall!
This is a recipe with which you can really play around. Use different squashes, pastas, and cheeses to make this recipe your own. The mixture of whole wheat pasta, lean chicken breast, and a variety of vegetables is sure to keep your waistline in check during the indulgent months of Fall. Here is the basic blueprint for a delicious autumn squash pasta:
(Servings for one person)1/4 butternut squash
Extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp sage
3 oz of chicken breast
2 oz. whole wheat spaghetti pasta
5 asparagus spears
1 c. eggplant
1 tbsp. balsamic vinaigrette
1 tsp. minced garlic
Parmesan cheese (or another grated or shredded low-fat cheese)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.2. Coat butternut squash lightly with olive oil, about 1 tsp. of sage, salt, and pepper, then place in a shallow pan. Place the pan in the oven and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender.
3. Coat chicken breast lightly with olive oil, sage, salt and pepper. Place on a broiling pan and broil for 20 min. or until chicken is cooked.
4. Cook noodles according to directions on package.
5. Coat eggplant lightly with olive oil, about 1 tsp. of sage, salt and pepper. When the squash is halfway done roasting, at about 15 minutes, place the eggplant in the pan with the squash.
6. Repeat for asparagus. Place asparagus in the pan with the other vegetables for the remaining 5-7 minutes.
7. Once cool, place chicken and veggies on a cutting board and chop them all into 1″-1 1/2″ cubes. Cut asparagus into about 5 parts each.
8. Heat a large wok or skillet. Pour a nickel-sized amount of olive oil in the skillet. When heated, place vegetables, chicken, and pasta in the skillet. Toss with balsamic vinaigrette, garlic, and the rest of the sage. Add basil, salt, and pepper to taste.
9. Serve on a plate, topped with your favorite cheese. (I used a little bit of feta cheese in the picture!)