Who loves oatmeal? I have always heard very mixed reviews. For some it is bland and the texture is all wrong. Others who like it even tire of it, because they have run out of ideas. Since we know the healthy benefits of iron, fiber, protein and more– it is good to wake up a little earlier and take the time to prepare oatmeal and start the day out right. I’ve gone out on a limb and combined fruits and flavors that I have never eaten together before, and it is absolutely delicious. With nothing more than the natural sweetening from fruits, this hot cereal is almost too good to be true!
You will need:
- Quick cook steel cut oats
- 1 TBSP chopped walnuts
- 2 TBSP pomegranate seeds
- 1 TBSP mint leaves, chopped roughly
- 1 date minced for sweetening
- 1/2 banana thinly sliced
- Optional: 1 TBSP unsweetened coconut milk ( I used Trader Joe’s Coconut Drink)
1. Cook steel cut oats according to directions. Just as they finish thickening into the pot, add coconut milk.
2. Pour oatmeal into a bowl and top with cinnamon and tiny date pieces for sweetening and flavor.
3. Last, add walnuts, pomegranate seeds, mint and banana slices.
Calories: 304 Fiber: 8g Iron: 16% Protein: 8g