Fried rice is a one dish meal that is simple & good for any time of the day. My mother would sometimes use leftover rice from another meal & mix in veggies, soy sauce & eggs. It was definitely a favorite amongst my sisters & me. Although I have tried nearly a dozen of Trader Joe’s rices dry, precooked and frozen– I have yet to try them all. I recently tried the Thai confetti rice & was blown away by how perfectly seasoned it was with the lemongrass, ginger & thai basil. With the onions & baby corn it is totally delicious & worth every bit & more of $2.99 per box for 4 servings. Rather than go with my urge to consume more than my serving, I filled up on veggies & added a protein to go alongside it. I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I did!
For this dish you will need:
- 3 eggs
- 2 packets of Trader Joe’s confetti rice
- 1/4 pound of snow peas
- 1 large green bell pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 8 to 10 oz of protein (shrimp or tofu work well)
- Microwave confetti rice according to instructions & set aside in a large bowl.
- In a large non-stick skillet or wok, cook protein & then set aside. I used tofu, but chicken for my guests. Shrimp is also a good option. The proteins were cooked in a skillet on medium high heat with EVOO, a dash of sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder & soy sauce. This takes 5 to 7 minutes.
- In the now cleaned skillet, scramble eggs, but do not cook all the way through. This will prevent overdrying when they are cooked again with the fried rice. Set aside.
- Cut bell pepper in to 1×1 inch pieces. Cook snow peas and bell pepper pieces on medium heat until slightly tender in 4 tbsp of oil.
- Turn heat to medium high & add confetti rice, eggs & eventually protein.
- For additional spicy flavor, add your choice amount of crushed red pepper.
- Garnish with Thai basil and serve.
Makes approximately 4 servings
Tip: Serve with Thai gyozas or spring rolls.