Beans are a great source of healthy fat and provide a great serving of fiber and protein. They are found in many types of cuisines and one of my favorites is the role they play in Mexican cuisines. Usually pinto beans are used for refried beans, but the are also fantastic cooked and drained. Beans in the canned form can shave significant time off your cooking preparation. I used organic canned beans for this recipe, but that should not deter you from cooking your own if you have the time. This cool salad is an antioxidant-packed blend of the flavors most of us have come to know and love when it comes to Mexican cuisine. The great thing about this salad is that it can also work as a dip. The colors and flavors are bright, explosive and fresh.
You will need:
- 1 15oz can of Pinto beans
- 2 tbsp Cotija Cheese
- 2 tbsp yellow onion diced
- 2 medium sized heirloom tomatoes, diced
- 4 oz Sliced black olives
- 1 medium jalapeno finely minced (Use bell pepper if you do not like spicy food)
- 1 tbsp Mexican green onions finely minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro roughly chopped
- In a medium-sized bowl, start with pinto beans and mix in diced tomatoes, yellow onion, black olives, and jalapeno.
- 1/2 avocado
- the juice of 1/2 lime
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of cilantro
- 2 tbsp diced onion
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Small splash of water to help liquify if needed
- Add all the ingredients into a blender or food processor and set to “liquify”. Alternately, leave out avocado, and just whisk together ingredients.
- Toss individual salad servings with 1 tsp of dressing, top with cotija cheese and then with finely diced green onions.
* The more avocado you use, the creamier the dressing will be. You will only need a very small dab for each serving of salad. This dressing can also be used to top tacos. We used this to top shrimp & soy chicken tacos.